News releases from usubc members Featured galleries Business leader Breakfast with President Poroshenko, NY USUBC Visit to Great Plains New Kyiv Headquarters USUBC meeting with U.S. AMbassador Marie Yovanovitch in Kyiv, June 2018 Opening of U.S. Pavilion at the International Agricultural Exhibition AGRO 2018 SIGMABLEYZER MARKS 25 ANNIVERSARY OF BUSINESS JOURNEY IN UKRAINE DAVID SHARASHIDZE'S MELTING COLORS AT ART-ASTERS A Roundtable with Energoatom in Washington (OPIC, Broad Street Capital Group, Holtec) USUBC BUSINESS LEADERS PRIVATE LUNCHEON WITH VALERIY CHALY, AMBASSADOR OF UKRAINE IN THE USA USUBC Annual Meeting and Luncheon 2017 USUBC COLLECTION OF HISTORIC NEWS PHOTOGRAPHS
New Calculation of Court Fee under Ukraine’s New Law
Baker McKenzie, Kyiv, Ukraine,
Thu, Jan, 12, 2016
On 1 January 2017, the Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine”, dated 6 December 2016 (the “Law”), entered into legal force. The Law introduced amendments to the effective Law of Ukraine “On Court Fees”.
What the Law says
Starting from 1 January 2017, the court fee for filing a claim (appellate, cassation complaint, etc.) with the court shall be calculated on the basis of the minimum living wage, as of the beginning of the year when the claim is filed.
According to the Law, the court fees in Ukraine in 2017 shall be as follows:
• for filing a monetary claim with the commercial court – 1.5% of the amount claimed, but not less than UAH 1,600 (approximately USD 60)1 and not more than UAH 240,000 (approximately USD 9,000);
• for filing a non-monetary claim with the commercial court – one minimum living wage (UAH 1,600, approximately USD 60);
• for filing an application on the commencement of bankruptcy proceedings – ten minimum living wages (UAH 16,000, approximately USD 600);
• for filing an appellate complaint with the appellate commercial court – 110% of the rate, payable when submitting the claim; and
• for filing a cassation complaint with the cassation commercial court – 120% of the rate, payable when submitting the claim.
Parties applying to the Ukrainian courts should take into account that from 1 January 2017 the new court fee shall apply.
1 In this Alert amounts in USD were calculated based on the official exchange rate, established by the National Bank of Ukraine as of 11 January 2017.
This LEGAL ALERT is issued to inform Baker McKenzie clients and other interested parties of legal developments that may affect or otherwise be of interest to them. The comments above do not constitute legal or other advice and should not be regarded as a substitute for specific advice in individual cases.